The photos below show a recent job to renew rotten rafters, soffits & fascias.
1) I started by removing the guttering, stripping back the roof tiles and felt, and taking out the rotten barge board to reveal the extent of the job. Part of the plate was rotten and needed to be replaced and also the end rafter.
2) I created a custom barge board which was treated and undercoated.
3) New soffit & fasica installed, undercoated and painted.
4) Re-pointed between the roof tiles and the barge board
5) Installed new deep-flow guttering
Here are some photos from a recent job re-joisting a floor.
1) All of the existing joists had been eaten by woodworm and needed to be taken out
2) After removing all of the existing floor boards and joists, the next job was to start fitting the new joists. This old Victorian house wasnt quite level so we had to take care to get the floor level. All plates were treated with preservative. Some intricate work around the fireplace hearth and joist hangers in the corners finished this part of the job.
3) Once the joists were installed, batons were fixed to the underside to allow the installation of Celotex insulation PL4000 boards to meet building regulations. Read more about insulation requirements on the Planning Portal website here and here.
4) The last stage was to cut and lay a plywood floor ready for tiling.
That’s right, I’m going back to school! The student becomes the teacher I’m heading back to Guildford College one day per week as a teachers assistant on a carpentry course.
A new challenge ahead.
In 1970 I joined a local building company and started an apprenticeship at Guildford Technical College. After 5 1/2 years I earned my Advanced City & Guilds in Carpentry & Joinery. In 1978 I decided to start my own business, and I’ve never looked back!
For the last 33 years I’ve built up a strong reputation for delivering excellent quality carpentry & joinery services, as well as building a host of likeminded quality tradesman from every aspect. So I can provide a full end-to-end service for most any project.